Revision and Evaluation
Here are some questions to ask yourself as you
revise between drafts.
In fact, these constitute the same questions I
ask as I access your papers.
- Are you taking revision (reshaping, refocusing, refining, rethinking) seriously?
- Are you taking peer response seriously?
- Does it fix grammar and usage problems?
- Does clear progress exist from early to late drafts?
- Does your essay establish and maintain a clear purpose?
- Does it provide adequate support and detailed examples?
- Does it go beyond summary evaluation and enact real critical thinking? Does
it use proper grammar, effective vocabulary, and sensible sentence and paragraph
- Does it demonstrate careful though about the issues involved in the course?
- Does it demonstrate a personal interest in and an engagement with the writing
- Does it go beyond the essay prompt and make the writing your own?
- Does its voice allow the reader to get a sense of a person behind the words?
- Does your essay represent effort?
- Is it conscientious?
- Does it critically explore its issue(s)?